CHAPTER 434 Berlin

2nd travel trip of the year done which also happens to be a birthday trip which I was contemplating where to go. Prague+Budapest was my desired choice , New Zealand was 2nd but we ended up in Berlin. Honestly I dont remember why I chose Berlin but I probably wanted an Europe that I haven't been to , and with history to view.

It was the first europe trip for my family as well just wanted to bring them to places out of asia for at least once even though Asia is always the best suitable place for us.

Did a transit flight to Berlin since there wasnt any direct flights from Singapore except for Scoot.
I always liked domestic flights because they always depart and chocks on the fastest as compared to an international flight. It was only 11am when we reached the hotel wasnt able to check in to take a shower and nap hence we headed for lunch instead. When we were able to check in , a quick shower and nap before heading out. Summer in Europe is great which means longer daylight , definitely nothing new to me but was very fascinating to my family members because 10pm is like 7pm is Singapore.

Berlin is basically is a very walkable city so I wouldn't recommend you to buy a 7 days ticket if you arent travel to the other zones. Berlin is divided into 3 zones , ABC which tickets differently.
If you ever intend do a 4 days Berlin , I would say to just get full day pass at 7/7.70 euros for 2 days?

I wouldn't go into details but basically its just the cluster of places you can visit together in a day.


Day 1


  • Brandenburg Gate
  • Reichstag Building ( Do book your entrance ticket online , its free but you just have to book online to visit it) 

  • Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.


Day 2
  • Musuem Island
  • Berlin Cathedral Church -Berliner Dom
  • DDR Museum 

  • Hackescher Markt
  • Alexanderplatz 

Day 3



  • Outlet
  • East Berlin Wall



Day 4 
  • Potsdam - Berlin Zone ABC ticket can be used here as well so you dont have to pay extra.
The hard part here is the bus stop are really hard to find , google dont work well here. The timing are slightly off.
Initally I wanted to do it with hop on and off bus but we got things that came up in the morning and only arrived at 1pm there which I wouldnt recommend as it does take up the whole day  
We only managed to cover 2 places and only went into the Neues Palais.
The walk between the 2 palace was so longgggggggg, and guess what was my motivation to move , my full time enemies , the insects. I swear I really hate them. 
These Palaces are under the UNESCO heritage site and have a ticket that is able to cover all the different palaces at a cheaper rate. 
  • Sanssouci (Summer Palace) 





  • Neues Palais - huge Baroque palace built as a statement of Prussian power by Frederick the Great at the conclusion of the Seven Years’ War with France







Day 5

  • Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp 
This was my highlight of the trip. WW2 was my interest ever since I learnt about that ,visiting a concentration camp was really an eye opener . This was really a solemn place to be , you can just sense it here.
SS soldier camp right outside the concentration area


Tower A


Jewish Barracks








The legendary Station Z , where the gas chambers , fake 'health check' areas where they shot you from another room and just burn you into ashes straight away


They draw your blood out and extract all the necessity organs or golden tooth they can get from you

And you will be transferred to the mortuary just downstairs. This empty room just dont feel right when you enter it . I was pondering to go in until I saw people going in then I just followed.
I ask my brother after the whole visit here , did he felt like his stomach was like not right when he entered the place too? Same answer, same results. I guess its just the restless souls doing it all.



  • Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church


Day 6 

  • Checkpoint Charlie




  • Topography of Terror
This was the worst day to be in Germany. Sunday. I totally forgotten that no shops is open on Sundays because I haven't been to this country for at least a year. DM, supermarkets, nothing is open. if you find eatery open, count yourself lucky. To think that we booked a later timing flight home, worst choice ever. 

That sums my Berlin Trip and bye humans, till again. and yes the long overdue Korea and Japan trip I did earlier this year and last year, erm I think I can just forget it and just plan the next trip instead.

Comments

Popular Posts